Acoustic absorbers are products that prevent sound waves from reflecting off of hard surfaces. Due to their ability to absorb and block sounds, they play an essential role in improving acoustics in many industrial contexts, particularly OEM equipment and enclosures. Acoustic absorbers help create safer, more productive spaces for living and working. This article will discuss the most important considerations when selecting an acoustic absorber for different applications.
General Considerations for Acoustic Absorbers
To identify the most suitable acoustic absorber for any given application, there are several key factors to consider:
- Acoustic absorption coefficient: This determines how much sound a given material is able to absorb. The higher the coefficient, the better the absorption. Expressed as a value between 0 and 1, an acoustic absorption coefficient of 0 indicates no sound is absorbed, while 1 means all sound is absorbed.
- Thickness and density: How thick and dense an absorber material is has a direct impact on its performance. Thicker, denser materials are able to absorb more sound.
- Material composition: The materials used in an acoustic absorber also have a big impact on its capabilities. Polyether foam and polyester foam absorbers are common soundproofing foams that can be customized according to thickness, facing, and other needs.
- Fire safety ratings: Ratings such as the ASTM E84 measure how quickly flames spread along a material’s surface. Fire-rated panels are categorized into classes, with class A indicating the highest resistance to spreading flames and the highest level of safety for occupants.
- Installation flexibility: Certain materials are more flexible and lightweight than others. The more flexible a product is, the easier it will be to integrate into an existing space.
Selecting the most suitable acoustic absorber for any application requires a basic understanding of these concepts, as well as knowledge of what sound frequency needs to be blocked. Low frequencies are more challenging to block (but humans are less sensitive to them) while high frequencies are more easily managed with a variety of foam-based products.
Acoustic Absorbers for Equipment
Equipment used in many industries can operate at dangerously loud noise levels. In these environments, acoustic absorbers ensure user safety and comfort. At Technicon Acoustics, we develop solutions for many types of equipment, including:
- Heavy-duty trucks: Cabs, engines, floor mats, transmissions
- Medical devices: Imaging and ultrasonic equipment, nebulizers, oxygen concentrators and generators, lab equipment
- Construction equipment: Articulated trucks, bulldozers, excavators, material handlers, off-highway vehicles
- Air compressors: Centrifugal air compressors, reciprocal air compressors, natural gas compressors, rotary screw air compressors, oil-free and oil-injected air compressors
Quality acoustic absorbers block or absorb sounds as well as reduce vibrations and improve the marketability and public perception of your products.
Acoustic Absorbers for Power Generation Equipment
In the power generation industry, acoustic absorbers mitigate noise emissions and create a more comfortable and safe working environment. Many types of power generation equipment produce harmfully high noise levels, including:
- Inverter generators
- Standby generators
- Portable generators
For all of these applications, Technicon Acoustics offers solutions that reduce noise levels by absorbing and dissipating sound energy. Our products are made from specialized materials that feature high acoustic absorption coefficients. They are designed to withstand the uniquely harsh operating environments of power generation equipment.
Incorporating acoustic absorbers into power generation equipment not only enables companies to comply with regulatory standards, but also protects worker well-being, minimizes noise pollution, and ensures good relations with surrounding communities.
Acoustic Absorbers for Automotive Applications
Whether used in mass transportation or heavy-duty trucks and specialty vehicles, acoustic absorbers ensure a comfortable driving experience. We offer automotive acoustic absorbers for many vehicle components, including:
- Floor mats
- Engine compartments
- Dashboard and door panels
- Trunks and cavities
Throughout these applications, acoustic absorbers create a quieter ride with reduced engine and road noise. They also minimize audio distortions, improve sound performance, and create a more immersive audio experience. No matter what challenges an automotive application entails, our experienced team can incorporate the right insulation product into your vehicle design.
Let Technicon Help You Choose the Right Acoustic Absorber
With the wide variety of acoustic absorber products available, identifying the best solution for your application is crucial. At Technicon Acoustics, we offer the solutions you need and tailor each product to your application’s requirements. Our team is always available to help you understand your options and select the most suitable acoustic absorber.